screendance miami festival
Since 2017, ScreenDance Miami Festival is presented by the Miami Light Project, under artistic and executive direction of Beth Boone. Pioneer Winter is contracted as the director of the ScreenDance Miami Festival (2016-present).
ScreenDance Miami, awarded 'Best Festival' in the Miami New Times' Best of Miami 2016, is a festival that takes place each January at various venues, including the Light Box at Goldman Warehouse, Pérez Art Museum Miami, Miami Beach Cinematheque, MDC Live Arts, and Soho Beach House. It offers short film and feature length screenings, skill-developing workshops, and panel discussions. The festival was originally produced by Tigertail and directed by Pioneer Winter. Upon celebrating its 5th year, ScreenDance Miami is now produced by the Miami Light Project with continued direction by Pioneer Winter.
ScreenDance Miami highlights choreographers and directors who are working with emerging and new concepts in regard to movement and dance on film and dance on camera. The festival has been created to support professionals in this field and to support the development of dance created for the camera.
2018 Festival Trailer
2018 Program Schedule
Wednesday, January 17 through Sunday, January 21, 2018
Weds, Jan 17, 6:00 PM-8:00 PM | The Light Box at Goldman Warehouse
- Workshop with Randy Valdes | In the Dark about Lighting?
Thur, Jan 18, 7:00 PM, Opening Night | The Light Box at Goldman Warehouse
- Program 1 Screenings | Feature film Bronx Gothic, featuring Okwui Okpokwasili and directed by Andrew Rossi, in partnership with O Cinema (Q&A with Gabri Christa and Michelle Grant-Murray follows) and Afro Promo #1 Kinglady featuring Nora Chipaumire
Fri, Jan 19, 7:00 PM | Soho Beach House
- Program 2 Screenings | New Dutch short film collection in partnership with Cinedans Dance on Screen Festival (Q&A with Dutch choreographer Gabri Christa and dancer Lize-Lotte Pitlo follows)
Sat, Jan 20, 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM | Pérez Art Museum Miami
- Program 3 Screenings | Official Selections
- Florida Focus, 12:00 PM (Q&A with Gabri Christa and Pioneer Winter follows)
- Dance Abroad, 2:00 PM (Q&A with Gabri Christa and Pioneer Winter follows)
Sun, Jan 21, 10:00 AM-1:00 PM | The Light Box at Goldman Warehouse
- Workshop with Gabri Christa | Creative Process: From Brain to Body to Screen